By Swami Harshananda
Rahasyatraya literally means ‘the three secrets or mysteries’.
Aspects of Viśiṣṭādvaita
The Viśiṣṭādvaita Vedānta propagated chiefly by Rāmānuja accepts two basic truths:
- Tattvatraya - in its theoretical aspect
- Rahasyatraya - in its practical aspect
Content or Rahasyatraya
The rahasyatraya comprises of three mantras:
- The aṣṭākṣarī - eight-lettered mantra of Lord Nārāyaṇa
- The dvaya - a pair of mantras pertaining to Nārāyaṇa and surrendering at his feet
- The caramaśloka - mantras giving the response of the Lord to the surrendered devotee
These mantras are to be received ceremonially from a competent teacher.
- He lived in A. D. 1017-1137.
- Gītā 18.66
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore