From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Sometimes transliterated as: Uccatana, UccATana, Uccaatana
Uccāṭana literally means ‘exorcising’.
- Māraṇa - for causing the death of an enemy
- Mohana - for casting a spell
- Stambhana - for arresting the power of an enemy
- Vidveṣaṇa - for causing enmity
- Uccātana - for throwing out or banishing
- Vaśīkaraṇa - for hypnotizing any person
The rite of uccāṭana can also be used for exorcising ghosts and evil spirits.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore