By M. A. Alwar
Indravṛddhā is a feminine form.
The word can be derived in two ways:
- "Indreṇa indriyajanitadoṣeṇa vṛddhā" which means 'Old due to detrimental effects of the sense-organs'
- "Indraḥ śreṣṭho'pi vṛddhaḥ kṛśo bhavati yasyāḥ" which means 'That due to which even a great man becomes old/lean'
Indravṛddhā is a disease which causes sores.
Nidāna describes the symptoms of the disease as follows:
- In this disease, in the center a boil appears like that of pericarp of lotus which is surrounded by small boils. It is called as indraviddha.
- It is caused by vata and pitta.
Bhāvaprakāśa mentions the treatment of four diseases listed below as same.
- Treatment of vivṛta
- Treatment of indravṛddhā
- Treatment of gardabhikā
- Treatment of jalagardabhika
- “या पद्मकर्णिकाकारा पिटिका पिटिकान्विता । साविद्धा वातपित्ताभ्यां ताभ्यामेव च गर्द्दभी” ॥
- Shabdakalpadrumah by Raja Radhakantdev, Varadaprasada Vasu, Haricarana Vasu