From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Pṛthvī literally means ‘daughter of the king Pṛthu;’ ‘that whose quality is hardness or solidity’.
This word has generally been used in two senses:
- The element earth being one of the five fundamental elements involved in creation
- The earth in which we live
The latter is said to comprise seven dvīpas or islands known as:
- It is an ocean of salt-water.
- It's other name is India.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore