From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Attributes of Sage Vāmadeva
Vāmadeva is a sage well-known in the Upaniṣads. He is described in various upanisads as follows:
- The Aitareya Upaniṣad says he had realized the ātman even while in the womb of his mother.
- The Brhadāranyaka Upaniṣad declares that the sage Vāmadeva realized Brahman and hence his identity with Manu and Surya.
- The Rāma-purvatāpanī Upaniṣad describes that Rāma was worshiped by great sages like Vasiṣṭha and Vāmadeva.
- According to the Śivapurāṇa he learnt about Praṇava from Kumārasvāmi and taught it to other sages.
- Ātreya was his disciple.
Aspects of Vāmadeva
Vāmadeva is also one of the five aspects of Śiva.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore