From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Raudri literally means ‘the terrible goddess’.
Aspects of Raudri
Characteristics of Raudri
- The demon Durga, the son of Ruru, had obtained a boon that he could never be killed by male beings. Unable to bear his atrocities, all the gods approached Brahmā, the creator for succor. On his request, Raudri killed Durga.
- She is also described as one of the eight forms of Parāśakti like Vāmā, Jyeṣṭhā, Kālī and so on.
- She is the personified aspect of fire element in the creation.
- Iconographical works picture her as black in complexion, clad in red garments.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore