From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
By Swami Harshananda
Śikhara literally means ‘that which has a top’.
- Gopura is the huge tower built over the entrance of big temples.
- Vimāna is a small tower built over the garbhagṛha to indicate the place where the chief deity is installed.
- Śikhara is the uppermost tapering part of the Vimāna.
- Garbhagṛha means sanctum sanctorum.
- Āmalaka means myroballan-shaped structure.
- Kalaśa means finial.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore