From Hindupedia, the Hindu Encyclopedia
(Redirected from Arunagirinathar)
By Swami Harshananda
Aruṇagirināthar was an author of a work called 'Tiruppugal' which contains soul-stirring hymns on Lord Muruga (Subrahmaṇya), is very popular in Tamil Nadu.
- He was a Śaiva saint who lived in the 15th century.
- It is said that he had an infamous birth and led a riotous life in his youth.
- A simple remark from his own sister caused such an intense remorse that he tried to commit suicide by jumping from the high tower of the temple.
- However, God saved him in a miraculous way. Thenceforth he dedicated his life to God.
- A sublime poetry welled forth from his heart as a result of divine grace showered on him.
- Some other treatises are also attributed to him.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore