By Swami Harshananda
Navadvipa literally means ‘the new island’.
Navadvipa has been identified with the modern Nadia. It is a small town situated on the bank of the river Bhāgīrathī at its confluence with the river Jalāṅgī. It occupied a prominent seat of learning during the period A. D. 1198 to 1757. It produced many eminent logicians like Raghunātha, Śiromaṇi and others. It was the capital of the kings of Sen dynasty.
- Bhāgīrathī is also called as Gaṅgā.
- The Concise Encyclopedia of Hinduism, Swami Harshananda, Ram Krishna Math, Bangalore